In any state that has legalization there are still some pretty strict rules that govern just how you can market your dispensary. These laws are constantly changing and staying up to date can be a full time job. The laws surrounding dispensaries can earn you some pretty heavy fines if you don’t play by the rules. Check with your state to find out what you can and can’t do, this includes dispensaries, producers and processors of cannabis products. Here are some basic laws that you need to be aware of.
- You can only have two signs that identify your business
- No misleading advertising
- You need to warn users of any side effects and any potential abuse of cannabis
- Do NOT target youth or anyone under the age of 21, so never use toys or cartoons to promote your brand
- Do not portray cannabis as any kind of medicine or a cure for any potential diseases
Where You Can Advertise
Cannabis is not like selling soap you can’t just slap your ads on a billboard anywhere you want and call it a day. There are laws in every state that will govern where you can put your signage and advertising. Here are some of the rules you need to follow.
- You cannot advertise anywhere near schools, rec centers, child care facilities or anywhere that is regularly frequented by minors.
- You cannot advertise on public property, so you will never see your dispensary on the side of a bus or a park bench
All of your advertising must come with the right warning labels, just like alcohol or tobacco. All your products should have the following.
- The effects of cannabis (intoxicating)
- Any health risks that can be caused by cannabis, again this is something you will want to check with your state about
- Not to be given or sold to minors
Here are some guidelines to follow.
You should also be aware that while you can have pages for your dispensary on social media, you’re not going to be able to advertise there. These too are heavily regulated. You will also not be able to sell your cannabis online. You want legal cannabis users to make their way to your dispensary and marketing is part of how that happens. Working with an experience cannabis marketing agency who understands the rules, that is how you make that happen.